We only have about 3 weeks until the STAAR test! So, please be helping your child at home with homework. Some students will complete it and then have parents correct it, some work together with parents to complete it, and some get their older brother and sisters to help out. Whatever works for your family is fine. Homework this week is due on Friday since we had a day off on Monday.
This homework is extremely important practice for the real STAAR!
Thank you for supporting your child at home!
Reading homework is going home today and is due back on Thursday. Students will be rewarded with praise tickets if everything is completed on the homework. Homework may be turned in late on Friday but with fewer tickets as a reward. No homework by Friday will result in students missing Fun Friday and completing a passage equivalent to the homework.
Homework Next Week!
Next week we will begin Reading homework. Each week a passage will go home on Monday and be due on Friday. Students know the following strategies to help them work their way through each passage:
U – Underline the title and write what genre it belongs to
N – Number the paragraphs
W – Walk through the questions first before reading the passage
R- Read the passage and jot notes in the margins
A – Answer the questions
P – Prove your answers
If they will use these strategies on each passage, they will be successful. Please encourage and support them as they are working on this homework. Some of the passages are difficult.
Remember next Friday, Dec. 16th, is the last day for Reading logs to be turned in. So, be sure your child is reading and you are signing their logs.
Also, if they are participating in the Book It program, they must read 12 days and record on their Book It calendar. The last day for this is Dec. 16th also.
Next week is very busy! All of my Reading students were asked to write all activities in their planners and the information is on the Intermediate website, so check one of those places for all information.
New Vocabulary words for the week:
- social – living together in groups
- exchange – the giving of one thing to another
- storage – a place for storing things
- transport – to move from one place to another
- chamber – an enclosed space or compartment
- excess- more than is needed
- reinforce – to make stronger with support or help
- scarce – not enough
- obstacles – something that blocks the way
- transfer – to cause to move from one place to another
Things to know:
Friday is a D.E.A.R. Day in my Reading classes. Students may bring beach towels, small pillows and books to read.
Choir students have a busy day on Friday. Please check with your child if they are in choir for more info.
Career Projects are due on Friday.
Reading Logs are due Dec. 16th for a grade in the grade book. Make sure your child is completing the log as they read each night.
Next week we are off due to Thanksgiving holidays!!!
Vocabulary words for the week:
- politics – the working of the government
- intelligent – having the ability to learn, think, understand or know
- disorderly – not behaving according to the rule
- approve – to give permission for something to happen
- polls – a place where people vote
- legislature – a group of people with the power to change make or change laws
- amendment – a change made to improve, correct, or add something
- candidate- a person who seeks an office or is put in office
- informed – having or showing knowledge of a subject or situation
- deny- to refuse to give
Remember tomorrow is an early release day for students. Teachers will be having training in the afternoon.
Also, our Food Drive begins Nov. 7th and ends on Nov. 11.
Remind students to record on their Reading Log each time they read. That log will be due by Dec. 16th for a grade in the grade book and for tickets.
Thank you to those that helped your student get those Reading Logs turned in on time today!!
Way to go!
Remember next week is Red Ribbon Week:
Tuesday-Dress like a genius
Wednesday-Dress like a super hero
Thursday-Wear a Crazy Hat
Friday-Wear appropriate pajamas
Remember there is no Pep Rally tomorrow!!! It is a regular day for us.
Also, please make sure your child is recording the times they read on the Reading Log. That will be due
Our class is almost finished with our first novel, Because of Winn Dixie. We have enjoyed this book and are looking forward to watching the movie in a couple of weeks. Please ask your child to talk to you about the book and characters.